Never cleaned a dispenser before? We’ll tell you how to clean a water dispenser in simple steps here. You might be wondering that water dispensers do not need cleaning, but it is necessary to clean them after a certain period.
Some water dispenser manufacturers have mentioned the specific time to clean the dispenser for having the best quality of water. The water dispensers will also have brown color residue on the sides that can affect water’s taste. Another reason for residue buildup could be due to the humid weather.
You can effortlessly remove the contamination in water by cleaning the water dispenser. However, some of the manufacturers recommend cleaning the dispenser after the cycle of 5 five months.
In fact, it is a good practice to clean the dispenser whenever you are replacing the filter or bottle.
How To Clean A Water Dispenser At Home?
Before we tell you how to clean a water dispenser with vinegar, you need to know some essential things.
- Do not forget to read the manufacturer’s instructions before starting the process of cleaning the water dispenser.
- Moreover, every dispenser has different parts, and you have to clean them according to the given instructions for avoiding any inconvenience.
- Before cleaning any of the water dispensers, you have to empty the bottle for cleaning it.
- Most importantly, you have to wait until the hot water tank is cooled down and then start the cleaning process.
Things You Need To Clean A Water Dispenser
It would help if you chose the right equipment and sanitizing agent for cleaning the dispenser. You may complete this whole process in 30 Mints if you have complete equipment with you. The cleaning agent should be powerful enough to kill all the germs and bacteria built up in the dispenser. For instance, you can choose between two options that are the following:
Use half a gallon of water and half a gallon of white vinegar.
Use one gallon of water and then add bleach 2 tablespoons.
Other cleaning items that you need are the following:
- One bucket
- Piece of Cloth
- Rubber Gloves
- Bucket of Hot Water
Suppose you picked to clean the water dispenser with bleach, then add one spoon of chlorine in the water as well. However, the chlorine should not be scented.
Steps to Clean Water Dispenser?
1: Unplug The Dispenser
Firstly, you have to unplug the water dispenser for your safety.
2: Take Out The Water Bottle And Clean The Hole Of Bottle Holder
Next, you have to take out the water bottle from the dispenser. After removing the bottle, you have to clean the hole of the bottle holder of the dispenser. You might find some of the residue buildups on the sides of the bottle holder.
3: Use A Microfiber Cloth Or Sponge For Cleaning
You have to use a cloth or sponge for cleaning the dispenser. Add some cleaning agents on the sponge for wiping the residue from the hole of the water dispenser. Other than that, you can use baking soda for cleaning the residue on the sides of the bottle holder’s hole.
Furthermore, it would help if you made a paste of baking soda for cleaning the residue on the bottle.
4: Take Out The Water Guard For Cleaning It
Next, you need to take out the water guard for cleaning it. The water guard has another name as well that is puncturing needle. After cleaning the water guard, you have to wait until it dries.
5: Remove The Drip Tray If Possible For Cleaning
Fifthly, you have to remove the drip tray for cleaning it as you did for the water guard. However, some of the water dispensers do not have an option to be removed. So you can clean the drip tray by wiping it with baking soda.
6: Sanitize The Water Reservoirs
Next, you have to sanitize the reservoirs of the water dispenser. Please make sure the hot water dispenser is at its normal temperature, so you don’t burn your hands. After sanitizing the hot and cold reservoirs, you have to wait for at least fifteen minutes.
Ensure that both faucets of hot and cold water are cleaned with the vinegar or any other cleaning agent you’ll be using.
7: Drain The Cleaning Agent Form The Dispenser
Lastly, you have to drain the cleaning solution that you used for cleaning the dispenser. For draining the white vinegar or bleach, you have to add 2 gallons of water to it. But if the smell of vinegar is still present in the water, you have to rinse the unit again.
Thus, after draining the cleaning agents, you can reinstall the drip tray and water guard. After that, you can add the water bottle again and plug in the dispenser for having a good quality of water once again.
In case if you want to watch the above process as a video, here you go:
Safety Measures To Consider While Cleaning A Dispenser
- Be careful while cleaning a dispenser; otherwise, you can injure your back. Indeed, it will be tough for you to clean a water dispenser if you don’t have any clue about it. Therefore, read all the steps that we have mentioned above before cleaning a dispenser.
- Other than that, you need to keep the back straight while loading the bottle on the dispenser. The 5 gallons water bottle is quite heavy, and you have to stand in the right posture to prevent back injuries.
- Also, while cleaning the hot water faucet, ensure that it is not hot enough to burn the hands. Furthermore, you should have the socket of electricity supply high on the wall for the children’s safety.
- Make sure that the tray and faucet are placed correctly to prevent water leakage. Remove all the cleaning agents and then plug in the dispenser. Last but not least, you have to clean the dispenser efficiently so that there is no foul smell left in it.
These were the simple steps on how to clean a water dispenser with vinegar or other cleaning agents. We tried to explain each and every essential step to clean water dispenser your way. No matter how best water dispenser it is, either you have to clean it yourself or hire one to clean for you.
I’m Katherine, a Kitchen Mom. I love to write about Kitchen Products. Besides writing, you will find me swimming, reading books, or just hanging out. Go and enjoy the read. Cheers!